daily meal

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Orange Scones

Who doesn't love a freshly baked scone? Sure, you can buy one from a store or coffee shop, but making your own homemade scones means you will be enjoying a flaky, buttery, and scrumptious treat!


I remember the first time I had a homemade scone - I was traveling through Ireland and staying on a farm. The wife and owner of the farm made the most filling and satisfying breakfasts! She just constantly fed us! And her scones... oh her scones were out of this world! Maybe it's because I was in Ireland and feeling relaxed and all wanderlusty (yes, that's a word in my book), but her scones were just that delicious!

Upon my return, I set out to make my own scones and try to recreate the farm owners delicious recipe.  In retrospect, I should have just asked for her actual recipe, but I think I have come pretty darn close!

Orange Scones 

Ingredients (Makes 12-15 Scones):
-2 cups flour
-4 teaspoons baking powder
-3/4 teaspoon salt
-1/3 cup sugar
-1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, diced
-2 oranges, zested
-3/4 cup cream
-1 egg
-1 egg beaten, plus 1 tablespoon water for egg wash
-Sugar for sprinkling (optional)

Orange Butter (Optional)
-4 tablespoons butter
-Juice (or can use zest) of one orange

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.  Incorporate the butter until the flour begins to clump a little like peas. Stir in the zest. 

In a separate bowl, beat the egg and mix in the cream.  Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and combine well until the dough starts to stick together in a ball. 

On a floured surface, roll out the dough about a 1/2 inch thick and cut into round circles with a biscuit cutter, or triangular shapes if you prefer.

Lightly brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash and sprinkle with a little sugar (optional).  Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.

Serve warm with orange butter.  Just combine the butter and orange juice (I used the juice from my zested oranges to not waste).  Let sit in the fridge for at least ten minutes, but the longer it sits, the more the flavors meld! I hope you enjoy!


If you would like to see my previous scone recipe using coconut oil (for a healthy difference) and craisins, please visit here.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment