daily meal

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Lemon Coffee Cake

It is finally that time of year again where the summer foods are beginning to make an appearance and there is an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables in the market! Out of all of the fresh produce though, I think I love cooking with lemons the most.  I just love the freshness that lemons can add and they can make any dish feel light and summery.  Therefore, since the lemons have been looking absolutely beautiful lately, I decided to make a lemon coffee cake! I love coffee cake and I love lemons, so why not put the two together? End result - a delicious light and lemony coffee cake great for breakfast or a snack!


 Lemon Coffee Cake


Ingredients

For the Streusel Topping:
-1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
-3/4 cup light brown sugar
-1 teaspoon salt
-11/2 sticks (3/4 cup) cold unsalted butter, diced

For the Cake:
-2 cups all-purpose flour
-1 teaspoon baking powder
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1 1/2 teaspoons salt
-1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
-1 cup sugar
-3-4 tablespoons lemon zest
-2 large eggs
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
-1 cup sour cream

For the Glaze:
-3-4 tablespoons lemon juice
-1 cup (or more) of confectionary sugar


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter a 9-inch angel food cake pan. 

Then, prepare the streusel.  Mix together the flour, brown sugar, and salt. Cut in the butter until small to medium clumps form. Cover and refrigerate. 

Prepare the cake mix by sifting together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, and lemon zest. Then, beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla and lemon juice until all ingredients are combined. Alternating with the sour cream, add the flour mixture to the batter. 

Once combined, spoon the batter into your greased angel food cake pan.  Sprinkle the chilled streusel topping evenly over the batter and place in the oven.  Bake the cake for about 55 minutes, or until it is golden and a cake tester comes out clean.  Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.  Then, run a knife along the edges to remove the sides of the pan. Let the cake cool for another 15 minutes before running a knife and spatula underneath and around the center tube to remove the cake completely from the pan. Let the cake finish cooling completely on the wire rack. 

When the coffee cake has completely cooled, mix together the lemon juice and confectionary sugar for the topping.  Depending on the consistency you want, you may want to add a little more confectionary sugar for a thicker topping, or a little less. 



Drizzle the topping over the coffee cake and then slice, serve, and enjoy! 
Pin It

19 comments:

  1. Lemon cake with drizzle AND streusel! Looks delicious and definitely perfect for the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. heck yes!! I am all over this. I love love love lemon and then put it in a cake? I am in heaven :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can definitely see this as being one of my favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh I could have this every morning! Looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing. It may have to make an appearance at the Father's Day breakfast I am planning. Also congratulations on the Top 9.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like handmade cookies ;) Looks very tasteful discount cigarettes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious and congratulations on making the foodbuzz Top 9!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where is the printer friendly version/link??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the Top 9. Well deserved. As soon as I saw the photo I knew I was going to be making this!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just had to drop everything and run in the kitchen and make this (with a few added blueberries). It's in the oven now. What a beautiful recipe -thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love lemon and love coffee cake!! This looks so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd never have thought to combine lemons and coffee but this looks wonderful. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your decision not to put all the lemon rinds in the cake--I love lemon, but I think it would have been too much. What a gorgeous cake!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Streusel and drizzle - that a winner in my books! A slice would be perfect with my morning cuppa!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Elyse - I wanted to let you know that I've made a version of this cake (somewhere between yours and Martha Stewart's) but I gave you credit and a link. You can see it on my blog now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love streusel. This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd never have thought to combine lemons and coffee but this looks kool. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete