daily meal

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Pumpkin Pasties

As promised, I am bringing you all another tasty pumpkin recipe for fall.  It just so happens that this fall recipe is also an adaptation of an English treat that is mentioned in the Harry Potter books (no, I am still not over Harry being gone).


The idea of making Pumpkin Pasties originated from the famous Cornish Pasty.  The Cornish Pasty is traditionally filled with beef, potatoes, turnip, onions, and salt and pepper.  The ingredients are encased in rolled out dough and baked until golden brown.  Making these delightful pasties is on my to-do list, but first, I shall enjoy the pumpkin version!


Pumpkin Pasties
Ingredients:
-1 cup canned pumpkin
-1/4 cup granulated sugar
-1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
-1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
-1 prepared pie crust
-1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water for egg wash
-Sugar for sprinkling

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. 

In a bowl, mix together the pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well combined.  Roll out the prepared dough on a cookie sheet and cut into circles using a 4 or 5-inch round cutter.  In the middle of each circle place a scoop of the pumpkin mixture (about 1 to 1 tablespoons).


Fold the dough over the filling to seal and use the end of a fork to crimp and seal the edges.  Cut little tiny slits on the tops to make vents.  Brush each pasty with the egg wash and sprinkle a little sugar on top if you would like.



Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until browned.  These pasties can be eaten for breakfast, as a snack, or as an after dinner treat!

Enjoy!



Pin It

32 comments:

  1. These are adorable. The color is beautiful...what a perfect treat for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute! What a great pumpkin recipe, love these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That photo of the inside has sold me on this. Flaky pastry and spicy cinnamon pumpkin-undeniably delicious. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! Never mind that I LOVE pumpkin. But these just picture perfect! That crust is beautiful! (And I love that they are portable!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so good.... I want one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Inever know that pumpkin can be a filling for paties, tq for letting me know dear :)
    great idea for fall treats! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah the pumpkin really is so good for the filling! I love them because you can eat them any time of the day. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woohoo!!! Pumpkin pie I can hide in my pocket... or nightstand... or dresser... or coat... or...or...or..well, you get the idea. I kinda like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yummmmm! And I'm not over the Harry Potter thing either. I'm going to have to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good lord, those look AMAZING! I'm so happy about all the pumpkin recipes in the blog world! My head is spinning :) Love these little pasties! Buzzed

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks so good. Just another reason why I'm devastated I can't find canned pumpkin anywhere in Baltimore. Someone will pay...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Grubarazzi - it's columbus day weekend and they still don't have pumpkin near you!!??? I would definitely make someone pay! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so lovely, its like our local karipap, just that the filling is more spicy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, we love pumpkin pie...and these little beauties look amazing! Your crust is so fabulous and flaky...so much better than anything I could make! Was it store bought? Wow. Maybe I'll quit trying if this is what you can find at the market!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've made these twice... once with store bought and once with homemade. The pictures above are of both types of crust! Can you tell which is which? I honestly did not see much of a difference so I'll use store bought when I'm lazy lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect idea for portable pumpkin pie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look fantastic.

    A friend of mine made some pumpkin pasties for her Harry Potter party. It was an amazing evening of tasty treats. Hargrids rock cakes, golden snitch cupcakes, butterbeer, chocolate frogs and pasties to name a few items.

    I'm with you. I want more Harry Potter!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loving this idea! I have a TON of apples I am wondering if I can use this and just sub apples for the pumpkin. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Portable pie! Gotta love that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look absolutely delicious! Buzzed...and I'm not over Harry Potter being done, either!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Look how cute these guys look! The sounds scrumptious too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh my word. I absolutely cannot wait to make these. MMMMM! they sound ah-mazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look so lovely and so perfect...I am hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I love little hand pies like this! And stuffing them with pumpkin is perfect for fall =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your version of Cornish pie!! They look so pretty! And the pastry is so flaky! I wish I had pastry like that here…but I haven’t so I have to try and make it from scratch.
    PS: thank you for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Please oh please keep the pumpkin recipes comin'! :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a nice, simple recipe - so pretty too! We included it in our Pumpkin Recipe Roundup

    ReplyDelete
  28. These look so yummy! I want one right now! I would love for you to link these up to my pumpkin blog hop! Link up as many pumpkin recipes as you want!

    ReplyDelete
  29. How many does it make?

    ReplyDelete