daily meal

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tea Party Takeover with Coconut Madeleine's

Foodbuzz and Electrolux have teamed up together to create a Top 9 Tea Party Takeover on March 25th.  What this means, is that all Foodbuzz featured publishers will be posting recipes that evolve around the tea party theme, and those posts will be featured on Foodbuzz.  Additionally, for every tea party recipe that is created by March 23rd, Foodbuzz will be donating $50 towards Ovarian Cancer research! For more information on how to host your own tea party, or if you would just like to donate to the research yourself, please visit the Kelly Confidential website.
Now, since the theme was Tea Party, my mind began racing like crazy! I had so many different ideas - from tea sandwiches to scones, and teacakes to macaroons.  There are just so many wonderful ideas out there for creating a tea party.  However, rather then overwhelm myself and get a headache, I decided to keep it simple... and sweet! As many of you know, I love dessert, especially chocolate! And what tea party doesn't have a little something sweet? As a result, I decided to make Coconut Madeleine's dipped in chocolate! 
Coconut Madeleine's
Ingredients:
-1 stick of unsalted butter, melted and cooled
-3 extra large eggs at room temperature
-2/3 cup sugar
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-12 ounce bag of Hershey chocolate chips
(Helpful hint: If you do not like coconut you can just leave it out all together or you can add another flavor, such as almond. My boyfriend loves coconut so much that I actually leave out the vanilla and only add 1 teaspoon of coconut extract when making a batch for him). 

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Grease your Madeleine pans and set aside.  

Beat the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and coconut extracts together in a bowl until a light yellow and fluffy (about 3 minutes).  Then, mix in the butter.  Sift in the flour, baking powder, and salt.  

Using a soup spoon, drop the batter into the prepared pans.  Fill each shell just about full (but do not fill completely or they will overflow when baking).  Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the Madeleine's bounce back when you touch them.  Dump the Madeleine's out onto a cooling rack lined with parchment paper and allow to cool.  If you prefer your Madeleine's plain, then eat them up! If not, you can dip them into chocolate once cooled.  I usually dip half of my batch into chocolate and leave the other half plain. 

To dip the Madeleine's; melt the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl.  I usually add about a tablespoon of vegetable shortening to help the chocolate stick better, but you do not have to use the shortening.  

Taking the Madeleine's one by one, dip one end of the cookie into the melted chocolate and place back onto the parchment paper.  Once all of the madeleine's have been dipped into the chocolate, place the cookies in the fridge to help the chocolate harden faster.  


Serve after tea, coffee, lunch, or dinner... basically at any time, and enjoy! Also, don't forget to check out Kelly Confidential for more information on how to donate to Ovarian Cancer Research. Thank you! 

Pin It

24 comments:

  1. Mmmmm....I love coconut! My Madeleine pans need to be dusted off so I can bake these :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable! Very nice tea party :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow yum! I never thought about dipping Madeleine's in chocolate and now I'm thinking why did I ever not think that! These look great and as Lizzy commented- I might need to dust off my Madeline pans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice change from a traditional recipe - bring my madhatter for this fiesta :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hell yes, you got my attention! :-) These looks great - the flavor combo reminds me of coconut macaroons, but madeleines are so much lighter and more sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your opening photo really got our attention, it's beautiful and the recipe is delightful, too! These have always been my favorite cookie, and the coconut is a great twist on the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look fantastic! Great pictures too! Have you submitted them to Tastespotting/Foodgawker? I really like them! Great job Elyse! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I submitted one of them to tastespotting and the denied me :( I'll try another one

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was looking for my madeleine pan earlier and I could not find it anywhere... I come to check foodbuzz, and you have an amazing recipe for madeleines! I have to find that pan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I can almost taste them. Perfect to dip into tea with :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kate, if you cannot find your pan you can always make madeleine mounds... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can take over my tea party any day with these! Lovely post and beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great addition to the big tea party!
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok so I tried to comment on this yesterday but it didn't work so lets try this again haha.

    I am having my morning tea right now and wishing I had one of these in front of me to dunk in it! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful recipe - I can't wait to try it out! Also, your photos are gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband would love few of yours Madeline's with a cup of tea, please! He loves his tea in the afternoon and he has to have something sweet with it; and your madeline's look so inviting and delicious with that chocolate covering! And you bake them for such a great cause Elyse- thank you and thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look really really good must give them ago and your pics look wonderful well done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those Madeleines look delicious! I've been wanting to make a batch forever, they look so elegant and dainty. Just need to purchase one of those nifty pans I guess :o) They are perfect for this wonderful cause!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look amazing! I love the coconut addition. Beautiful photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Coconut, my favorite :) they look so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A tea party with coconut Madeleines all for a good cause? It couldn't get any more perfect. They look scrumptious. Thank you for being a part of March's YBR.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ugh! Posts like this make me spend money! I need some Madeleine pans, pronto!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been wanting to find a madeleine pans!!
    They are so pretty!!!! and im sure they are delicious!!! :)

    ReplyDelete