daily meal

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Avocado Milkshake (Sinh to Bo)

Although the thought of an avocado shake (or Sinh to Bo) may sound a little odd to some, it is actually an extremely tasty drink and a very popular, traditional, Vietnamese specialty.  Avocados are often used as a dessert or sweet treat in Vietnamese as well as other Southeast Asian dishes.


The very first time I had an avocado milkshake, I was sitting at Lei's (Pho restaurant) in Allston, MA.  I would usually order Thai Bubble Tea (which is also quite amazing), but decided to give the avocado shake a try.  As much as I love avocados, I was still pretty nervous as to how it would taste in shake form.  Turns out, it was love at first sip!
Avocado Milkshake
Ingredients:
-1 ripe, medium sized avocado
-About 12-15 ice cubes
-1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
-1/4 to 1/2 cup milk

Directions:
Scoop out all of the avocado flesh and place in a blender.  Add all of the remaining ingredients and blend until combined.  Depending on the consistency you prefer, you may want to add more milk or ice.  I like my shakes a little thicker so I always use 1/4 cup of milk.  When making this for others who like it a little looser, then I will use a 1/2 cup of milk. 

This shake is great when served right away, but I found that waiting just even 15 minutes or so will help to bring out the flavors even more! However, I usually cannot wait.... Enjoy!
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I love avocados and finding new ways to eat them. I would actually try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boyfriend cringed at the thought of an avocado milkshake but once he tried it he fell in love! I hope you have the same reaction! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious and so healthy! My hubby hates avocados but could use the extra fats. I'm totally making this this weekend and not telling him what's in it! haha thank you!

    ReplyDelete