- 7 to 10 apples (depending on their size)
- Zest from one lemon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour or cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Peel, core, and cut the apples into little chunks and place them into a bowl. Add the zest, lemon juice, sugar, flour (or cornstarch), cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix together and pour into a deep-dish pan. If using a store bought aluminum foil pan, then use fewer apples to fill the pan because the apples and topping will overflow.
In a separate bowl, prepare the topping. Combine the flour, sugars, salt, and oatmeal. Add butter and blend with an electric mixer for about 1 minute. Sprinkle and/or pat down the topping over the apples until all the apples are covered. Place the dish onto a baking pan and put the pan into the oven for 50 - 60 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the apples are bubbly.
Apple crisp is best served warm. If you have an extra large sweet tooth like me, then you can even add a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. Enjoy!